HGST Packaging and Shipping Instructions
Before sending any shipment to HGST, you MUST secure a Return Material Authorization (RMA) approval. Any shipment received without an RMA will be returned to you at your cost.
HGST must receive your product within 30 days of RMA issue, or your RMA will be cancelled.
All HGST products must be returned with secure and sufficient packaging to protect the products from possible damage during transit. Your warranty may be voided if product(s) is received as a result of inadequate packaging. Please see Guidelines for Warranty Claim.
Product Inspection Checklist
Inspect your product thoroughly as all warranty claims will be voided if product is received with the following:
- Foreign material on the product (e.g., adhesive, oil, dirt, gum)
- Damaged, modified, opened or dented product
- Damaged during transport as a result of improper packaging
- Missing parts (e.g., screws, interface cards, etc.)
- Evidence of tampering (e.g. broken seals, labels removed or torn), except
work performed by data recovery service
- Covered breather holes
- Product shipped without proper ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) protection
(Internal hard disk drives only)
Please use HGST approved protective packaging or any packaging that provides equivalent protection to ship your hard disk drive(s). Consult our acceptable packaging and unacceptable packaging guides.
For HGST External Hard Disk Drives
Please send back with your RMA:
- External Drive Assembly
- Power adapter
- All interface cables that came with your product (USB, FireWire, Mini-SAS. Thunderbolt cable if included in product)
Life Studio Products
- Please only send back the defective part that was RMAed. Keep all other working parts
- Replacement will be for identified defective part number only
For HGST Internal Hard Disk Drives
Mobile, Desktop and Enterprise Internal Hard Disk Drives
- Return only the bare drive in an electro-static discharge (ESD) bag
- Keep all adapters, controller cards, literature, mounting brackets, slide rails or software
- HGST is not responsible for these accessories, they cannot be returned.
Packaging for All Products
Please use the original packaging when possible in returning your product. Use the following approved packaging guidelines as applicable:
The use of non-approved packaging may void your warranty
- For bare hard disk drives, enclose in an anti-static electrostatic discharge (ESD) bag. (Excludes External Hard Disk Drives)
- Use 2 inch thick foam cushioning to secure the product on all sides during the shipment. When shipping more than one product, ensure that the products do not touch and are cushioned individually
- DO NOT use foam peanuts, cloth, paper or newspaper or padded envelopes (LifeStudio spare parts, key, power adapter or dock may be shipped in padded envelope)
- Use a corrugated cardboard box for the exterior packaging
- Use of a traceable carrier (e.g.,UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS) that can provide proof of delivery is strongly recommended.
Address Labels and Multiple Boxes
The address label from your RMA email notification can be cut and taped to the outside of each box to be used as a mailing label. Otherwise, clearly write all shipping information and the RMA number on your package when returning.
Please write your RMA number on three sides of your package when returning your product to HGST.
Multiple RMAs may be shipped in one shipment, provided that each RMA is individually packaged and marked with the box along with all RMA numbers listed on the outside of the box(es).
About Your Replacement Product
You will receive a replacement unit with the balance of the warranty period or 90 days, whichever is greater. All data on your returned drive(s) will be erased, if possible, or the unit will be destroyed. Please seek data recover if desired, before requesting a RMA from HGST.